Bug in Nagios orphan-check?!

Matthias Eichler me at ame.de
Wed Feb 5 11:54:13 CET 2003

Hi List,

I have some Nagios 1.0 installed on a Debian 3 Woody. The machine
is some Intel Celeron 700 MHz with 256 MB of RAM.

The setup was doing really well for some long time, but now I get
some severe problems more or less every five days.

Today we had some connection problems to some remote farm. But Nagios
didnt send out host-down notifications, it said this in its event log:

"Warning: The check of service 'blabla' on host 'blabla' looks like
it was orphaned (results never came back). I'm scheduling an immediate
check of the service..."
Since this first entry Nagios reported this warning with EVERY service
check, about 142 times...
At this time I tried to get on the web interface and got no connect,
the SSH login took very long, what I am not wondering about, because the
box had a load of 7.83!
I saw that there were about 80 nagios processes in the list. They were
not stopped by some /etc/init.d/nagios stop, I had to kill them all.

In dmesg I see entries like:
---
Feb  5 11:12:14 ozzy kernel: Out of Memory: Killed process 18026
(apache).
Feb  5 11:12:20 ozzy kernel: Out of Memory: Killed process 18022
(apache).
---
or
---
Feb  5 11:21:48 ozzy kernel: request_module[net-pf-10]:
waitpid(13304,...) failed, errno 512
Feb  5 11:21:48 ozzy kernel: request_module[net-pf-10]:
waitpid(13305,...) failed, errno 512
Feb  5 11:21:48 ozzy kernel: request_module[net-pf-10]:
waitpid(13306,...) failed, errno 512
---

I think there might be some bug, because also the remote
site is not available Nagios should warn us about it and
not confuse the box like this...?!?

Any ideas?!?

Greetings from Munich,

Matthias