First time install, big fubar mess

Dan Lang dlang at sevenl.net
Wed Dec 31 02:01:32 CET 2003

Greetings,

I've installed a standard nagios setup for my employer, monitoring
several servers and services.  Initially, nagios seemed to be working,
though not exactly as expected, but now I seemed to have fubar'd everything.

I orginally compiled nagios to use mysql and without the --with-cgiurl
or --with-htmlurl flags.  I just wanted to get nagios working before
playing with web interface.  After getting nagios to work for the most
part, I recompiled with the appropriate flags for using the web
interface.  However, nagios can't seem to parse any of the config files now.

Running nagios with -v gives the following errors which seem to suggest
nagios is croaking on the first line of the config that is not commented.

Nagios 1.1
Copyright (c) 1999-2003 Ethan Galstad (nagios at nagios.org)
Last Modified: 06-02-2003
License: GPL

Reading configuration data...

Error in object configuration file '/usr/nagios/etc/checkcommands.cfg' -
Line 51 (Could not parse input)

Error in object configuration file '/usr/nagios/etc/misccommands.cfg' -
Line 50 (Could not parse input)

Error in object configuration file '/usr/nagios/etc/contactgroups.cfg' -
Line 21 (Could not parse input)

Error in object configuration file '/usr/nagios/etc/contacts.cfg' - Line
21 (Could not parse input)

Error in object configuration file '/usr/nagios/etc/hostgroups.cfg' -
Line 21 (Could not parse input)

Error in object configuration file '/usr/nagios/etc/hosts.cfg' - Line 21
(Could not parse input)

Error in object configuration file '/usr/nagios/etc/services.cfg' - Line
21 (Could not parse input)

Error in object configuration file '/usr/nagios/etc/timeperiods.cfg' -
Line 21 (Could not parse input)

Running pre-flight check on configuration data...

Checking services...
Error: There are no services defined!
         Checked 0 services.
Checking hosts...
Error: There are no hosts defined!
         Checked 0 hosts.
Checking host groups...
Error: There are no host groups defined!
         Checked 0 host groups.
Checking contacts...
Error: There are no contacts defined!
         Checked 0 contacts.
Checking contact groups...
Error: There are no contact groups defined!

         Checked 0 contact groups.
Checking service escalations...
         Checked 0 service escalations.
Checking host group escalations...
         Checked 0 host group escalations.
Checking service dependencies...
         Checked 0 service dependencies.
Checking host escalations...
         Checked 0 host escalations.
Checking host dependencies...
         Checked 0 host dependencies.
Checking commands...
         Checked 0 commands.
Checking time periods...
         Checked 0 time periods.
Checking for circular paths between hosts...
Checking for circular service execution dependencies...
Checking global event handlers...
Checking obsessive compulsive service processor command...
Checking misc settings...

Total Warnings: 0
Total Errors:   5

What would cause such a problem?  I have not seen such an error in the
documentation or through my scanning of the list archives.

Also, while I compiled nagios to use mysql, it doesn't seem to be
writing data to the mysql DB.  I have checked the mysql logs, and there
are no errors.  In fact, it doesn't look as if nagios is even trying to
connect to mysql at this time.  I set the appropriate variables in the
resources.cfg. Is there another config file I need to edit that maybe I
missed in the documentation?

Thanks for any help.  Regards

Dan Lang