Passive checks? (NSCA)

Michael Tucker mtucker at airmail.net
Tue Dec 30 23:45:39 CET 2003

Howdy:

I posted on this list that I was having trouble with getting send_nsca
-> nsca to work for me. (Note: this is my first attempt to use nagios.)
Maybe my problem is as simple as a configuration issue. So, I'll
rephrase my question to this:

What do I need to do to make passive service checks work?

I have a distributed server which is monitoring several hosts (via
check_nrpe -> nrpe). It is working just fine, as far as I can tell. On
the "Process info" page, it displays:
Notifications enabled? NO
Service checks being executed? YES
Passive service checks being accepted? NO

I have a central server which is not directly monitoring any hosts. It
expects to receive the results from the distributed server (via
send_nsca -> nsca). The server is up, but it shows all hosts/services
status as PENDING (forever). It displays:
Notifications enabled? YES
Service checks being executed? NO
Passive service checks being accepted? YES

Here are the relevant configuration files:

----- send_nsca.cfg (on the distributed server): -----
#password=
encryption_method=1

----- nsca.cfg (on the central server): -----
#password=
server_port=5667
allowed_hosts={hostname of distributed server}
nsca_user=nagios
nsca_group=nagios
debug=0
command_file=/usr/local/nagios/var/rw/nagios.cmd
alternate_dump_file=/usr/local/nagios/var/rw/nsca.dump
aggregate_writes=0
append_to_file=0
max_packet_age=30
decryption_method=1

----- relevant portion of /etc/inetd.conf (on the central server): -----
nsca	stream	tcp	nowait	nagios	/usr/sfw/sbin/tcpd	/usr/local/nagios/bin/
nsca -c /usr/local/nagios/bin/nsca.cfg -i

----- relevant portion of /etc/services (on the central server): -----
nsca	5667/tcp	# Nagios service check acceptor

----- nagios.cfg (on the distributed server): -----
... (lots of stuff snipped, only showing a few settings) ...
check_external_commands=0
command_check_interval=-1
execute_service_checks=1
accept_passive_service_checks=0
enable_notifications=0
ocsp_timeout=5
obsess_over_services=1
ocsp_command=submit_check_result

----- nagios.cfg (on the central server): -----
... (lots of stuff snipped, only showing a few settings) ...
check_external_commands=1
command_check_interval=-1
execute_service_checks=0
accept_passive_service_checks=1
enable_notifications=1
obsess_over_services=0

I'm running Nagios 1.1, compiled for Solaris 9 (running on Sun/SPARC
hardware using gcc).

I'm really stumped, and would be grateful for any help.

Thanks,
Michael