'Fixing' scheduling of service checks

Matthew Wilson matthewwilson at dsl.pipex.com
Mon Dec 29 12:12:12 CET 2003

Post-Christmas greetings to everyone.

I run several reference FTP downloads hourly (using a custom-written
Apan check) over a satelite link.  It is important that these do not all
occur at same time, as they would give false results as they would be
sharing bandwidth.  I frequently reschedule the checks so they occur at
nice intervals, but anytime nagios gets restarted, I have to do it all
over again.  And I also find that after a while the scheduling will
'drift' enough for some of them to happen simultaneously.  Also if the
link goes down Nagios goes into a flat spin trying to do all the checks,
and the scheduling gets screwed up.

So what would anyone suggest as the best way to solve this? A daily cron
job to reschedule the checks via the external command file?

thanks
Matthew Wilson
DC-Sat.net