General Status Page

Al Tobey tobeya at tobert.org
Sun Dec 21 04:40:44 CET 2003

On Thu, 2003-12-18 at 17:06, Ross Oldenburg wrote:
> Hello
>
> I was wondering if anyone has written an addon to display a very general
> status overview page.  At our site, we're looking to have a page users can
> look at and understand.  Something like:
>
> If load average on our mail server is high:  "E-mail may be slow"
> If webserver is offline:  "Webserver is down"
> If our pipe to the outside world is broken:  "Internet link is down"
> If our wireless firewall is down:  "Wireless is down"

This is one of the major goals I'm trying to achieve with the
Nagios::Object perl modules (on CPAN).  I just started writing HTML
stuff for it this weekend and will update this list when some of it is
ready.  So far, I'm creating a bunch of widgets that can be lumped back
together easily to create custom layout webpages.   Hopefully, I'll be
able to construct something very much like the existing C CGI's for
Nagios using the perl modules, so it'll run under mod_perl.

My organization also wants what you're asking for - simple pages for
common users and "bricks" they can stick in other informational
webpages.

> et cetera.
>
> If no one has done this already, can anyone offer any tips on grabbing
> host/service group status in real-time from Nagios in a stateless manner?
The (bare) basics of what you need should be almost ready in
Nagios::StatusLog (part of Nagios::Object).  Unfortunately, I haven't
worked the documentation out as well as I'd like yet.

-Al Tobey
Unix Administrator
Priority Health