check_log problem

Oliver Marahrens o.marahrens at tu-harburg.de
Thu Dec 18 12:21:17 CET 2003

Hello everybody,

I'm new to Nagios and everything works fine. Nearly everything. I
can't get the check_log-Plugin work as it it should. I want to check
the file /var/log/messages on localhost for the word WARNING. To
do that I have the following lines in checkcommands.cfg:
define command {
	command_name	check_log
	command_line		$USER1$/check_log -F
/var/log/messages -O /tmp/oldmessages -q $ARG1$
}

At the service checks for my host in services.cfg I do the following:
check_command	check_log!"WARNING"

To test the function I wrote WARNING manually into the messages-
file. But Nagios says
Log check ok - 0 pattern matches found

The same happens when I execute check_log manually on bash.

What's my mistake? Can anybody help me?

Thank you, regards
Oliver Marahrens