Why are host checks run from the main process? Does anyone have a patch to change it?

Jeff Rodriguez jeff at unixisgod.com
Tue Dec 16 22:01:19 CET 2003

We have 270 hosts in nagios right now with a total of 1184 service checks.

I've noticed an issue where the host checks are run from the main nagios
process. I'm not sure as to the reasoning behind this but it can cause
problems galore.

Since the main process does all the scheduling, having it do host checks
seriously breaks things when several hosts are down.

Does anyone have a patch to set host checks to be done outside the main
scheduling process? Or any suggestions as to how I can alleviate the
problems it causes?

I know this is causing a problem, since when I disable host checks I go
from 0 checks a minute (when it hangs) to 400+.

Thanks,
Jeff