"Monitoring process may not be running!" but it IS.

Maciej Soltysiak solt at dns.toxicfilms.tv
Tue Dec 16 19:08:28 CET 2003

Hi,

I set up nagios from debian packages, but I have a problem.

When I check nagios configuration it shows it has no
warnings or errors, and I am able to run nagios and its
process is running.

When I run http://myhostname/nagios it says:

Warning: Monitoring process may not be running!

But also it shows Process Information like
uptime, last external check, and other options.

How come it says:
process status: unknown
Check Command Output:  Nagios check command did not return any output
although the process is running and the services are being checked:
I set up one gateway ping check and one SMTP check on an SMTP server.
They return valid results, but still nagios says the process may not be
running.

The privileges for /var/log/nagios/rw are as in the docs.
# ls -ld rw
drwxrws---    2 nagios   nagios         80 Dec 16 18:38 rw

What could be wrong?

Regards,
Maciej