Please help: max_check_attempts ignored in host definition

Gabriel L. Somlo somlo at acns.colostate.edu
Tue Dec 16 01:03:17 CET 2003

I'm trying to configure Nagios to only alert me on downed hosts if
they've been down for 15 minutes. Here's the relevant part of my
object config file (the interval_length is left to its default of
60 seconds):

define host{
        name                            generic-host
        check_command                   check-host-alive
        notifications_enabled           1
        notification_interval           0       ; only notify once !
        event_handler_enabled           1
        flap_detection_enabled          1
        process_perf_data               1
        retain_status_information       1
        retain_nonstatus_information    1
        register                        0
        }
define host{
        name                    generic-ups
        use                     generic-host
        parents                 ot-l3
        max_check_attempts      15		; notify after 15 minutes
        notification_period     24x7
        notification_options    d,u,r
        register                0
        }
define host {
        use             generic-ups
        host_name       test.ups
        alias           test ups
        address         192.168.4.5
        }

No matter what I do with max_check_attempts in the generic-ups
template, I still always get paged approx. 3 minutes after
disconnecting the test.ups host from the network.

I can successfully control the time before I get paged on "ping is
critical" by changing max_check_attempts in the service definition,
but never for the up/down notifications in the host definition.

What am I doing wrong ?

Thanks much,
Gabriel