event handler help

Jack Coates jack at monkeynoodle.org
Mon Dec 15 20:34:44 CET 2003

On Mon, 2003-12-15 at 08:00, Jack Coates wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to set up an event handler to restart a DSL modem via X10.
> I've followed the documentation closely, but I have two problems:
>
> 1) it waited seven hours before even attempting to run the script.
>
> define service{
>         use                             generic-service
>         host_name                       gw201
>         service_description             PING
>         is_volatile                     0
>         check_period                    24x7
>         max_check_attempts              5
>         event_handler                   restart_dsl_modem
>         normal_check_interval           10
>         retry_check_interval            5
>         contact_groups                  admins
>         notification_interval           120
>         notification_period             24x7
>         notification_options            w,u,c,r
>         check_command                   check_ping!100.0,40%!500.0,80%
>         }
>
> 2) when it ran the script, the script felt that the state wasn't hard
> enough and quietly bailed.
Turns out this problem was actually caused by the nagios user not having
permissions to the TTYs, which was easily corrected. Presumably problem
one is still a problem, though it's conceivable that event_handler
efforts were being made for the first seven hours, but just weren't
being logged. When it had network access again the server was glad to
let me know about all the notification emails it had generated ;-)
--
Jack at Monkeynoodle Dot Org: It's A Scientific Venture...
* "There was a shopping mall, now it's all covered with flowers,     *