Compiling nagios -> nsca -> libmcrypt on Solaris 9

Michael Tucker mtucker at airmail.net
Fri Dec 12 23:56:13 CET 2003

Howdy:

I'm attempting to set up nagios for a network of Solaris servers
(central server plus distributed servers), communicating with each
other via send_nsca and nsca.

This has necessitated compiling nsca, since I don't know of any
pre-packaged binaries for Solaris.

Finally, nsca wants libmcrypt, which itself must be compiled (to my
knowledge) for the same reason.

This last step has me stumped. I'm unable to compile libmcrypt. I'm
using:
* gcc-3.3.2-sol9-sparc-local
* nagios-1.1
* nsca-2.4
* libmcrypt-2.5.7
* mcrypt-2.6.4

In other words, the latest gcc package available from sunfreeware.org,
and the latest versions of nagios, nsca, libmcrypt and mcrypt,
available from their respective host sites.

When I attempt to ./configure, then make libmcrypt, it fails. Evidently
there are a whole raft of undefined symbols (beginning with
nofb_LTX__mcrypt_get_state) that are not found in libmcrypt.so, so the
make fails for targets 'all', 'all-recursive', and 'ciphertest' (in
reverse order).

Has someone else experienced this? Is there some environment setting
that needs to be tweaked?

Better yet, are there pre-compiled binaries for these packages
available for Solaris 9 (SPARC)?

Thanks,
Michael Tucker