Monitoring multi-homed hosts, i.e. routers

Justin F. Knox jknox at partnerc.com
Fri Dec 12 22:53:51 CET 2003

Hi all,

In reading the faq, I found that you can indeed have multiple addresses
for a host, so long as your selected plug-ins support the format (addr,
addr, addr, etc). I can see where this would come in handy, but I have a
couple questions about it.

1)       If one of those addresses fails, will a notification be sent
(assuming I have my notifications configured properly)?

2)       How does this affect dependencies? I'm betting I would need to
break up each interface into a separate host definition so that I can
define dependencies such that if Eth0 on my wan router goes down, the
notifications for the now unreachable Serial0 and Serial1 are
suppressed...

Any and all input is greatly appreciated, I'm mostly looking for a best
practice here.

--justin