SNMP agents versus Nagios agents

Al Tobey tobeya at tobert.org
Fri Dec 12 17:32:03 CET 2003

On Thu, 2003-12-11 at 14:36, Larry Crowder wrote:
> Hello all,
> <SNIP>
>
> Within the Standard MIB, is RFC 2790 also known as the Host Resource MIB.  Data for CPU utilization, disk space usage and RAM usage are defined within this MIB.  Of course this data is also available thru several of Nagios agents (NSclient, NRPE and MRTGEXT.NLM).    (Actually, it seems to be much better defined in the Nagios agents)

I have two plugins for monitoring disk and processes using the
host-resources MIB in the nagiosplug contrib directory.  Newer versions
are available at my website, http://www.tobert.org/nagios.  You might
like to take a look at them during your evaluation, since they could
probably be modified to support other "table" MIBs without too much
difficulty.

> I am fairly solid on using  NSclient and MRTGEXT, but have not really used NRPE on remote servers.  I very much favor using the Nagios agents, because they are specifically designed for each platform and were built for reporting to Nagios.

I don't use them here at work for much anymore, since I've switched
everything to NRPE.  It's just too much work to add MIBs to multiple
vendors' agents (net-snmp, HP-UX (SNMP Research)).  So, I've been down
this road.  I started with using SNMP, since that didn't mean installing
anything on my boxes, but whenever I tried to do anything not supported
by the available MIBs, I hit a wall.  Now I use NRPE and it's pretty
trivial to add new plugins.

I still keep them (the plugins) up to date as we're looking at
monitoring more Windows and Novell hosts, both of which support the
host-resources mib.  That's the nice thing about this MIB - it works
cross-platform.  I have tested and shown my plugins to work with Novell
and Windows >=2000 (not NT4).

-Al