SNMP agents versus Nagios agents

Larry Crowder CrowderLG at ldschurch.org
Thu Dec 11 20:36:49 CET 2003

Hello all,

I am in the process of drafting a comparison memo for my work and would like to ask if any out there either has done a similar evaluation, or can refer me to some specific comparative  information about this.   The comparison is between Nagios Agents and the SNMP agents of the Standard MIB - specifically RFC 2790.  To me, comparisons would focus on usefullness of data, difficulties of configuration, change management and security.

Within the Standard MIB, is RFC 2790 also known as the Host Resource MIB.  Data for CPU utilization, disk space usage and RAM usage are defined within this MIB.  Of course this data is also available thru several of Nagios agents (NSclient, NRPE and MRTGEXT.NLM).    (Actually, it seems to be much better defined in the Nagios agents)

I am fairly solid on using  NSclient and MRTGEXT, but have not really used NRPE on remote servers.  I very much favor using the Nagios agents, because they are specifically designed for each platform and were built for reporting to Nagios.

Any info would be appreciated!

Thanks

Larry C

This message may contain confidential information, and is intended only for the use of the individual(s) to whom it is addressed.