nrpe - ssl handshake not completed

Noah Leaman nleaman at apple.com
Tue Dec 9 07:06:50 CET 2003

I had this problem too and the fix for me had nothing to do with the
libssl or libcrypto libs or ./configure --disable-ssl. What I was doing
was mistakingly running nrpe with the wrong config file (doh!). I was
running:

     ./nrpe -c commands.cfg -d

instead of:

     ./nrpe -c nrpe.cfg -d

In fact, I found that you can run nrpe with an empty text file as a
config file and it doesn't seem to have a problem:

     touch test.cfg
     ./nrpe -c test.cfg -d

... no problem until you try to connect:

     ./check_nrpe -H hostname.domain.com -c check_users
     CHECK: Error - Could not complete SSL handshake.

So make SURE that the config file your feeding nrpe is the actual nrpe
config file and not the commands config or something. Hope this helps
some.

--
Noah