Latching state on failure

Dan Urist durist at euler.cr.usgs.gov
Mon Dec 8 22:06:04 CET 2003

Is there a way to configure a nagios service so that the state is permanently
latched to NOT_OK when a failure is detected?

What I am trying to do is this: I use net-snmp to monitor a bunch of stuff on
some solaris machines, and I have nagios poll the snmp daemon with
check_snmp. I've written a script that is run by the net-snmp exec MIB that
checks for SCSI errors in the system log file. It only checks for new entries
in the log file since the last time it ran. What I'd like to do is have this
polled by nagios, and if it finds an error latch the state of that service to
NOT_OK until I manually submit a passive check result.

I guess I could do this with passive checks or snmp traps, but it would be a
lot simpler to have nagios run the checks since I'm already using it to
monitor the other stuff through snmp.

Thanks,
Dan Urist
--