Large hostgroups?

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Fri Dec 5 16:59:47 CET 2003

[mailto:Francois.JEANMOUGIN at 123multimedia.com]
> Sent: Friday, December 05, 2003 9:04 AM
> To: Dr John Hearns; nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net
> Subject: RE: [Nagios-users] Large hostgroups?
>

> > On Fri, Dec 05, 2003 at 11:31:08AM +0000, Dr John Hearns wrote:
> >
> > Of course, the members list is comma separated.
> >
> > But the question still stands - is there an elegant way
> > to add hunderds of nodes to a hostgroup?
>
> For what bad reason would you like to do that ? Hostgroup is a way to
make
> overview much more readable, so, I suggest you group your nodes by 20,
it
> would be a better way to use the nagios interface.
>
> I could have missed something, but...

That may work fine for you but would be absolutely impractical for me.
In my case I like to be able to see hosts in two different ways, by
County, and by Region. That way I can see at a glance if I'm having a
District problem or a Service Platform problem affecting an entire
region. They're also not just for viewing readability. I can now
schedule downtime for a district or an entire region once without having
to touch 50 hostgroups as I would have to do in your scenario. My region
hostgroups have >1000 hosts in them. I'm able to do that by upping the
MAX_XODTEMPLATE_INPUT_BUFFER significantly. It may not be the most
secure way but it works well for me.

xodtemplate.h:#define MAX_XODTEMPLATE_INPUT_BUFFER    49152

--
Marc