MQ and Vitria Monitoring

Jason Martin jhmartin at toger.us
Thu Dec 4 18:11:36 CET 2003

I can't give you the code just yet (waiting for the final OK on that), but
I can tell you how it works.

Assume that we have two vitria servers, FOO and BAR. They run on Solaris.
We also have a solaris host that acts as part of our monitoring system.
We installed the vitria software on this third host (we'll call it ZED)
but are not actually running any of the Vitria daemons.  ZED is running
NRPE.  The vitria software is installed so that NRPE has access to the
vtadmin command as well as the taskmanager / usermanager 'ping' classes.
Since Vitria exposes itself via a network port (the VTNAME) all of your
vitria commands can be run remotely.  We defined each connector and
automator as a service and have Nagios call out to ZED.  Part of the
command parameters is the VTNAME that ZED should use.  ZED then uses the
propriatary Vitria protocol to ceach out to FOO and BAR.

So, that makes one plugin for connectors / automators, one for 'generic
businessware', one for taskmanager and one for usermanager.  The
'Businesssware ping' java class isn't part of the standard vitria package,
I think it came from our development team.

In the future we are going to put NRPE on FOO and BAR in order to monitor
some statistics about the chanserv.dat / .wal files.

Our dev team also built a java daemon that reports on connector backlogs
and I wrote a plugin that reads the output of this daemon. As such we also
have a _backlog service defined for each connector.

- -Jason Martin