Passive checks with NSCA

Colin A. White colin at trematon.com
Thu Dec 4 17:54:37 CET 2003

Greetings all,

I was wondering if anyone could give me a quick sanity check before I
dive in and break my Nagios install...

I'm hoping to deploy the nsca addon (and send_nsca) to passively monitor
two debian devices hanging off the end of a DSL line.  i.e. the target
hosts have dynamic private IPs and do not have resolvable hostnames. I'm
aiming to log snmp traps only.  Am I right to think this is a 'passive
check of a volatile service' in nagios-speak ?

I'm wondering now, how to correctly configure the object files for these
hosts and their passive services.    I notice from the docs "that in
order to submit passive service checks to Nagios, a service must have
already been defined in the object configuration file"  Is this proposed
service definition sane??

define service{
        host_name                               unknown
        service_description                 TRAP
        check_command                    check-host-alive
        is_volatile                             1
        active_checks_enabled         0
        passive_checks_enabled       1
        check_period                        none
        max_check_attempts            1
        normal_check_interval          1
        retry_check_interval              1
        notifications_enabled             1
        notification_interval                31536000
        notification_period                24x7
        notification_options                w,u,c,r
        contact_groups                      linux-admins
        }

I'm also wondering how to handle the hosts.cfg definition which requires
an address param as a mandatory field...??  It's this 'gotcha' that has
me most stumped.  Am I able to use an arbitrary or fake IP and simply
use host_name matching to determin whether to accept and log the trap?

Any suggestions, comments, ideas, abuse or reading references are most
welcome by this nagios beginner.

Many Thks
--

Colin A. White SCSA, SCNA