inactive IP

Kyle Consalus consalus at students.uiuc.edu
Sat Aug 30 04:01:57 CEST 2003

I just got Nagios all installed and configured with
the intention of replacing Big Brother Network Monitor for it.

Nagios is quite an impressive piece of software, but I see one big
issue affecting it's usefulness to me. I have a good number of
IPs that aren't always in use, and I'd like to know when they were
last used and various other information. However, if I enter them all in,
it clogs up all the diagrams and makes a big pile of red ugliness.
Big brother has a 'dialup' setting available for hosts to mark hosts
that needn't always be up.
Is there a similar setting in Nagios?
I was looking through the source code to determine the ease in
implementing such a feature. It looks mildly beyond my ability
considering my current time constraints. :)

The way I envision it:
Another area of hosts, we'll call it the 'IP Pool' exists away from the
main pages. If one becomes active, it joins the list of normal ones, the
statusmap, etc. Once it disconnnects, it goes away, but it is logged.

Anyone know if such a feature exists and I'm missing it, or if it's in
the works?

Just trying to help make a better product.
Nagios rules.

Kyle