Undocumented feature?

Jeremy Madea J.Madea at mdl.com
Fri Aug 29 19:55:21 CEST 2003

Subhendu Ghosh wrote:

> On Thu, 28 Aug 2003, Jeremy Madea wrote:
>

> > I'm using 1.1.
> >
> > I've found that putting a "register" property with a value
> of 0 in a
> > hostgroup suppresses the hostgroup from display via the
> various CGIs.
> > However, the hostgroup appears to work normally when used in other
> > configuration files.
> >
> > I think this is a -very- useful feature. Does it work in 2.0? Is it
> > documented? (I didn't find anything.)
> >
> > Was it intentional? (Can I count on it working.)
> >

> register=0 makes the definition into a template ...

Yes, I know that. Maybe I could have been clearer. The hostgroup -template-
still seems to work in, for instance, a service definition even though it
isn't registered. It does not, however, show up in the web interface.

To see what I mean, create a test host that you don't use elsewhere, a test
hostgroup template (i.e. register property is 0) whose only member is the
test host, and a test service for that hostgroup. When you restart nagios,
the host and service will show up in the "services detail" page but the
hostgroup will -not- show up in the "services overview" or other pages.

That's the "feature" I'm talking about... and I'm wondering if it continues
to work in 2.0 and if I can count on it.

-j

--
Jeremy Madea
Senior Systems Engineer