RH 7.1 and nrpe

Pascal Robert probert at cesart.com
Thu Aug 21 17:12:44 CEST 2003

Hi,

I get some problems with nrpe when the server try to contact RH 7.1
machines.

Server setup:

- RH Linux 8
- Nagios 1.1
- Nagios Plugins 1.3.1

Client setup:

- RH Linux 7.1
- NRPE 1.9
- Nagios Plugins 1.3.1

Nagios is working fine with anything higher than RH 7.1, it's only the
7.1 machines that's giving me headaches.

On one client, I can contact it from the server but the connection is
close immediately:

$ libexec/check_nrpe -H xxx.xxxx.xxx -c check_disk
CHECK_NRPE: Error receiving data from host.

$ telnet xxx.xxxx.xxx 5666
Trying 192.168.1.10...
Connected to devgen.cesart.local.
Escape character is '^]'.
Connection closed by foreign host.

In the clien't log (/var/log/messages), the only reason I get is this:

Aug 21 10:30:43 devgen nrpe[11501]: Could not read request from client,
bailing out...

If I connect to localhost:5666 on the client, I get an answer.

And on the two other 7.1 machines, if I start nrpe with xinetd, I can't
connect to port 5666, even from localhost.  The only way to get to this
port is by running nrpe as a daemon instead of by xinetd.  But in this
case, I get the same problem as the first machine.

I don't have any firewall rules in place, and all other clients (either
RH 7.2, 7.3 or 8.0) are working fine.  I did recompile nrpe and the
plugins on each client so it's not a binary problem either.