3 Newbie Nagios questions (undetermined time, Citrix testing, Ora cle testing)

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Wed Aug 20 23:19:35 CEST 2003

    Chris> I can field this one, at least. Just use 'check_tcp'. It lets you
    Chris> check an arbitrary TCP port for connectivity. I'm using it to
    Chris> check availability of the Legato NetWorker backup system.

This reminds me of a problem they had at Northwestern with their homegrown
monitor.  A check_tcp-like script was used to check that the BackupExpress
daemon was available.  All it did was verify that something was listening on
the desired port.  Unfortunately, if you simply connected and then
disconnected without having a nice friendly chat, the daemon would sometimes
get into a weird state and not work at all.  They wound up just not testing
that service.  Presumably Legato's software is better behaved, but if you're
planning on using something like check_tcp, you need to convince yourself
that the service is robust in the face of a simple connect/disconnect, or
make sure you have a plausible send/expect chat to use (not always possible
for proprietary protocols).

--
Skip Montanaro
Got gigs? http://www.musi-cal.com/