EPN, RRDfiles etc

Jamie Baddeley jamie.baddeley at vpc.co.nz
Wed Aug 20 09:55:09 CEST 2003

Hi All,

I'm working on getting a new plugin sorted out. Ages ago Daniel Rich
posted a plugin to read RRD files generated by Cricket. It's an awesome
little plugin designed to read RRD files. This means you can use your
favourite rrd based system to go out and get the info from the network, and
Nagios can poll the resultant RRD's locally. Nice. A Nice efficient way of
doing things.

Anyway, I'm testing Daniel's plugin, and I've come up against a problem. The
plugin uses perl's IPC::Open3 module to call rrdtool to get the info.
Unfortunately there appears to be a problem with Nagios that has EPN compiled
and Open3.

Ref:
http://www.mail-archive.com/embperl@perl.apache.org/msg05441.html

When I use the plugin I get nothing but (no output!).

Debugging, I'm getting this:
Can't locate object method "OPEN" via package "OutputTrap" (perhaps you
forgot to load "OutputTrap"?) at /usr/lib/perl5/5.6.1/IPC/Open3.pm line 136.

...when I run Nagios (run in foreground to debug).

My question is what do people think are sensible ways around this?
- Recompile Nagios without EPN support?
- Find_another_way with the plugin?
- Discover some other magic fix?

I've attached the plugin, as I think it's a great way of doing what a lot of
people are trying to do with Apan etc, except that it takes advantage of
tried and true time-series trending systems such as cricket or perhaps cacti
etc.

I'm hesitant to walk away from EPN, as we have the learned Mr Hopcroft often
extolling the virtues of EPN.

Thoughts?

jamie