nagios / apan config prob

matthewwilson at dsl.pipex.com matthewwilson at dsl.pipex.com
Tue Aug 19 12:35:27 CEST 2003

Hi
I am just getting to grips with Nagios and Apan and am having some config probs.
 I have run out of ideas.  I have one service set up to ping with apan but it
keesp returning PING critical - host not found, while the host check is pinging
fine.  I also keep seeing in apan.debug lines like

Tue Aug 19 11:27:37 BST 2003 Args: ping BBI-Hub bbi-ping 1061288857 2000,50%
5000,80%
Could not insert ':ping' , '1061288857:' into /usr/share/nagios/rrd/BBI-Hub-ping.rrd

nagios is installed by the rpm so html is in /usr/share/nagios, cgis and plugins
in /usr/lib/nagios and configs in /etc/nagios
apan is in /usr/share/nagios/apan and I have changed all paths accordingly.

the rrd file is there and setup correctly as per the 'how to' in apan
documentation. config files are below - any suggestions appreciated.

Matthew Wilson
DCSat.net

----- apan.cfg
BBI-Hub;bbi-ping;/usr/share/nagios/rrd/BBI-Hub-ping.rrd;ping;ping:LINE2;Ping
round-trip time;Seconds

----- extended service info
define serviceextinfo{
host_name               BBI-Hub
service_description     bbi-ping
notes_url               /nagios/cgi-bin/apan.cgi?host=BBI-Hub&service=bbi-ping
icon_image              graph.png
icon_image_alt          View graphs
}

----- services.cfg
efine service{
	use				generic-service		; Name of service template to use
	host_name			BBI-Hub
	service_description		bbi-ping
	is_volatile			0
	check_period			24x7
	max_check_attempts		3
	normal_check_interval		5
	retry_check_interval		1
	contact_groups			steve
	notification_interval		120
	notification_period		24x7
	notification_options		c,r,u,w
	check_command			apan!ping!2000,50%!5000,80%
	}

------ host.cfg
define host{
	use			generic-host
	check_command		check-host-alive
	max_check_attempts	10
	notification_interval	120
	notification_period	24x7
	notification_options	d,u,r
	host_name		BBI-Hub
	alias			Astra BBI Hub Luxemburg
	address 		212.56.224.20
	}

------- command.cfg
define command {
	command_name                   apan
	command_line                   /usr/share/nagios/apan/apan.sh $ARG1$ $HOSTNAME$
"$SERVICEDESC$" $TIMET$ $ARG2$ $ARG3$
	}