Netfinity Servers hardware monitoring

Sebastian Schubert basti at sskm.net
Tue Aug 19 11:42:16 CEST 2003

> Does anyone here have any experience monitoring netfinity servers lm_sensors will not install itself due to the unsupported nature of IBMs hardware chip sets. Does anyone have scripts that interact with director or other programs that probe IBM's Netfinity hardware for temperature / FAN RPMs etc? I have searched google without any real luck so any help is greatly appreciated!
>
> Thank you,
> Scott

hi scott,

what kind of netfinity servers do you use, do they have the netfinity
remote boards installed ?
we have several x-series machines (successors of the netfinity series)
with the ibm remote adapter and watch them with some snmp queries ...
for stonith'ing some of our clusters we use the MPcli (Management
Processor Commandline Interface) which can also give you the needed
informations (fanspeed, temperature etc...)

MPCli Sample output (taken from a xSeries 345):
 mp> getsysstat
SUCCESS: getsysstat -state default
System State: OS running.
SUCCESS: getsysstat -power default
Power is on.
SUCCESS: getsysstat -restart default
The number of system restarts = 36
SUCCESS: getsysstat -uptime default
System uptime = 4100
 mp> getfan
SUCCESS: getfan -speeds type=int default
Fan Speeds:
   1: 73
   2: 56
   3: 54
   4: 54
   5: 70
   6: 55
   7: 55
   8: 53
SUCCESS: getfan -num default
Maximum Fans = 8
SUCCESS: getfan -inst default
Installed Fans: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
SUCCESS: getfan -run default
Running Fans: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
 mp> gettemperatures
SUCCESS: gettemperatures -cpu type=int default
CPU 1 Temperature = 27.0
CPU 2 Temperature = 25.0
SUCCESS: gettemperatures -dasd type=int default
DASD 1 Temperature = 19.0
SUCCESS: gettemperatures -systemambient default
Ambient Temperature = 22.0
 mp>

--
"In god we trust, the Rest we Monitor"