CGI authentication makes me mad

Tristan-Matthieu Robichaud tmr at iscream.net
Fri Aug 15 21:17:05 CEST 2003

Hi dude,

On Tue, 2003-08-12 at 20:09, garrick wrote:
> Your symptoms appear to be related to nagios' authorization process, but
> you are siting apache authentication configurations.  Those are two very
> differnent things.
>
> Does your web browser prompt you for a password?  If so, does it let you
> in after entering a correct user/pass?  If yes, then apache and
> authentication is setup correctly and your problem is a nagios config
> issue.  If no, then authentication is still not working (nagios does not
> do authentication, only authorization).

Yes it does work. The browser prompts me with an auth box asking for
username/password combo, then accepts it and loads the Nagios interface.

> Does nagios show your username in the upper left grey box in the
> "Tactical Overview" page?  If so, then nagios knows who you are and
> you've been authenticated.

Yes it does. I created 2 similar users with same perms, nagios and
nagiosadmin. Both logs in correctly and appears as logged on in the
Tactical Overview page.

>   Does the apache user have read access to the
> various files in /usr/share/nagios?

Apparently yeah because if it were not, no page would load, neither HTTP
or CGI.

I really think the problem is somewhere in Nagios config. As i stated
previously, I'm really surprised to keep getting this error message even
after I squarely disabled CGI auth in cgi.cfg. Anyway, same result, same
error message.

Thanks a lot

TMR