Notification

Carroll, Jim P [PCS] jcarro10 at sprintspectrum.com
Fri Aug 15 22:39:30 CEST 2003

How about:

- build out another mail server
- in DNS, define it as a lower priority MX record than
  the first mail server, eg, if the first mail server
  had a priority of 5, set this one to 10
- let the MX resolver and MTA figure out the rest

Alternatively, you could set up a service to montor port 25
of your mail server (check_smtp) and define an event handler
to run some predefined script, like send something to
Jabber, for example.

Yet another possibility is to set up a 2nd Nagios server which
strictly monitors your mail server's SMTP port, but has its
own MTA configured to point to another mail server (assuming
you have this luxury), or to run a script which pumps something
into Jabber, or MSN, or Qpage, etc.

Food for thought.

jc