Solved: No joy in NagMIN-land - empty System table

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Fri Aug 15 17:29:09 CEST 2003

    Skip> I've got stuff loaded into NagMIN.  Unfortunately, nothing seems
    Skip> to happen when I try to Activate my current configuration.  After
    Skip> a big of debugging I traced it down to the fact that the System
    Skip> table in the nagios database contains no rows.  I can't find
    Skip> anything in the nagmin runtime or setup code which populates that
    Skip> database.

    Skip> I can probably make a reasonable stab at the contents of that
    Skip> table (I think it should only have a single row).  Still, I think
    Skip> I'm missing something.

    Tom> I hope you get an answer to this as I have encountered the exact
    Tom> same problems about 2 months ago and was unable to rectify the
    Tom> problem.

    Tom> If possible, can you let me know how you resolve this issue. It may
    Tom> well be worth a faq, as you previously stated not many answers
    Tom> coming from NagMIN land

It took awhile but I figured it out.  There is a System table listed in the
Object Tables column for the system database (nagios by default).  Poke that
link and then poke "Add row".  All you need to define is the name, whether
or not it's the local host, and an ip address.  Once that's added, you
should be able to Activate your defined setup.

I submitted a bug report on SF with a patch to nagios_write.cgi which aborts
an attempt at activation if the System table is empty:

    http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=789296&group_id=77010&atid=548906

--
Skip Montanaro
Got gigs? http://www.musi-cal.com/