Parent hosts question

Tony nagios at cerbernet.co.uk
Fri Aug 15 13:04:19 CEST 2003

Hi all

I'm having a problem with parent hosts and wonder if someone could clear
up a couple of points.
It all come about because of an issue we had yesterday, we have a setup
in one location that looks like this:

Router-----------Switch-----------Server

I have specified that the router is the parent host to the switch and
that the switch is the parent host to the server.
The router suffered and outage and Nagios rightly notified that the host
was down (Router).
However I kept being alerted that the switch and server were
unreachable, which was the case.
And I'm assuming the reason for being notified is because the host entry
for the switch and server have

        notification_options            d,u,r

For parent host dependencies to work do I have to take out the
Unreachable option from the notification_options?
Does parent host dependences not work otherwise?

Thanks
Tony