(no subject)

ali alikhalidi at excite.com
Thu Aug 14 10:46:57 CEST 2003

 Greetings,I am experiencing a strange behaiviour for nagios and apan.I'de run nagios for a long time, using the standard plugins (check_host_alive for 50 services), and my system(CPU 1GHz, RAM 512, swap 512) was very stable.not untill I've installed apan (155 services) that the server starts chewing memory so fast that the system becomes cloged and the only way to regain control for the system is to REBOOT.I've read and practiced a lot with the tunning paramers of nagios, and reached a level where these parametersmax_concurrent_checks (for concurrency)service_reaper_freqsize of rrd files (to prevent caching of large databse files)added the -m to snmp_get (based on a recommendation of one of the users) to disable the loading of the mib with each callbut all with no help. I can't put my hands on the problem.the system starts memory usage in almost a linear fashion, untill the free section of buffers/cache starts comming down, and the systems goes to swap till it exhast all sys
 tem Memory.it is only the difference between the concurrency factor (max_concurrent_checks) that slows down the rate at which memory is lost.its a production system, and I really appriciate helpthanks,Ali Al-Khalidi