Smoke-detector connected to Nagios ?

Brian Ipsen Brian.Ipsen-sender-25cac0 at andebakken.dk
Mon Aug 11 17:47:37 CEST 2003

Hi,

> Please, do yourself a favour and don't connect smoke detectors to
> Nagios and
> rely on them. If you need them, consider a burglar alarm. We have two of
> them in our Server room. If smoke is detected it must go fast. A
> notification thru SMS will burn down your house. There are
> companies you can
> connect with your burglar alarm equipment, they receive an alarm
> in realtime
> and can report to the fire department.
> On behalf of that you can connect the alarm equipment to Nagios (even
> thought I don't recommend it). Good burglar alarms have a serial printer
> port you can use to connect with Nagios.

I know that just connecting them to Nagios wouldn't the oprimal solution.
The building is already equipped with burglar alarm, but smoke-detectors
haven't been connected to this system yet (it has been planned for months,
but the actual implementation has not taken place yet).

Anyway, thanks for your comments ;-)

/Brian