Notification Question

Webster, Stuart SITI-ITDIUR Stuart.Webster at shell.com
Mon Aug 11 16:51:56 CEST 2003

Hi,

Early sunday morning a server crashed, the server was rebooted. Looking through the event logs nagios logged a HOST DOWN as expected. But no host down notification was sent out, notifications only started comming once the server was up and nrpe was not running. I expected to recieve HOST DOWN notifications, but none were recieved, Looking in nagios' Alert Notifications history, it clearly shows that host down notification were sent to all 10 of our admins.

here is a snippet from my alert notification history.

Hosts  Service            Tyoe         Time                       contact Notification Command        Information
rtssip30  Check Disk / CRITICAL 08-10-2003 07:26:59 nlswe1 notify-by-email CHECK_NRPE: Socket timeout after 30 seconds.
kseu12 N/A HOST DOWN 08-10-2003 06:39:42 ksati1 host-notify-by-email CRITICAL - Plugin timed out after 10 seconds
kseu12 N/A HOST DOWN 08-10-2003 06:39:42 ksjbo1 host-notify-by-email CRITICAL - Plugin timed out after 10 seconds
kseu12 N/A HOST DOWN 08-10-2003 06:39:42 ksjkl1 host-notify-by-email CRITICAL - Plugin timed out after 10 seconds

My question, are mail notifications written to the log, even before they pass through some notification filters. or from looking at the above log, should the admins have all recieved mails,, they continued to recieve mails all day complaining about nrpe not running.

here is how the host is defined

# 'kseu12' host definition
define host{
        use                     generic-host
        host_name               kseu12
        alias                   kseu12
        address                 some ip
        check_command           check-host-alive
        max_check_attempts      10
        notification_interval   120
        notification_period     24x7
        notification_options    d,u,r
        }

Any help appreciated, I really need to get host down mails.

Thanks

Stuart