Nagios Making Phone Calls - How ?

solo molo solomolo90 at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 8 18:40:24 CEST 2003

I have successfully done this with a Hayes Acura V.92 Model 15328.  Getting
vgetty to work properly was an absolute nitemare.  I ended up getting a
patched version from a webiste for another product called VOCP
(www.vocpsystem.com).  This patched version allows you to force vgetty to
detect whichever modem type will work - I had to try every possible setting
with test.pvf program (this comes with the patched version) before finding
one that would work.

As far as implementation, I created a callservice and a callclient.  The
callservice runs as a daemon and waits for phonecall requests.  When nagios
escalation requires a phone call, nagios executes the call client.  The main
reason I did this was to throttle the number of phone calls that could be
placed at any one time.

Anyway I've attached the source for those two components.  I only need to
call one number, but the code could easily be modified to take arguments for
different call scripts.  If you have any questions let me know.  It took me
forever to finally get this all working right, so I'd be happy to share the
knowledge.