"OR" conditionals/dependencies?

Justin Matlock jmat at shutdown.net
Thu Aug 7 08:55:19 CEST 2003

Hello everyone;

I have an interesting situation here.  I have a large server cluster being
operated by Veritas Cluster.  In a nutshell, we have 6 Oracle instances,
spread out over three machines, all sharing the same EMC array via a
fibre-channel connection.  Each instance has its own set of mountpoints.  If
something goes wrong, VCS will take down Oracle, unmount the mount points,
remount them on another machine, then bring up Oracle on the new machine (if
you've never seen VCS in action, it's rather cool).

The problem I encountered:  Nagios is monitoring the mountpoints on Machine
A, which we just rebooted.  This means VCS unmounted and moved the
mountpoints to Machine B.  This means when A comes back up, the mountpoints
aren't going to be there (and that's not a bad thing).  SNMP just reports
the mount points as "Unknown".  To make matters worse, Nagios isn't
monitoring the mount points on B (which just appeared), so when one of those
fills up, we don't know about it.

What I'm looking for is something like this for a service

define service {
      host_name machine_A
      name         mount_db01_oracle
      service_or machine_B,machine_C
}

Basically, the service won't go into critical/warning/unknown unless two of
them go into Unknown and one of them goes into Critical/Warning/Unknown.  If
two of them are in Warning/Critical, that's a bad thing:  it means two
database servers are writing to the same disks on the array (which results
in a very very bad week for the DBA's).

Right now, we just have it set to not alert on Unknowns... but we got bitten
by this the other day when VCS malfunctioned and all three ended up being
Unknown.... and took one of our 1.2 terabyte production databases down with
it.. and we didn't know for an hour.  (oops)  :-)

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks;
Justin