Nagios Making Phone Calls - How ?

Joseph McQueen jmcqueen at joesjavajoint.com
Thu Aug 7 03:02:04 CEST 2003

I actually just completed setting this up. It¹s pretty easy if you read the
Docs on each piece and write some perl scripts (It was one of the first perl
scripts I ever wrote).

I used a notification (miscommands.cfg) to generate a text ³message² and a
³queue² entry. I check the queue using a perl script every couple of
minutes. When I see something in the queue file, I use the text I generated
from the notification and convert it to a WAV file using Festival¹s
TEXT2WAVE utility. This is then ran through some conversions (wavtopvf,
pvfspeed, and pvftormd) to make it specific for the voice modem I¹m using.
Once I have the RMD file, I call the person listed in the queue and let them
know they have an important message. If they press one, I play the message
generated and remove them from the queue.

All of the call scripting is in Perl (with some ³system² functions) using
the Modem::Vgetty module.

To Summarize, you¹ll need...
Festival (maybe with Festvox for some voices)
Vgetty configured (Comes with pvftormd, pvfspeed, and wavtopvf as well as
VM)
Nagios (Obviously)
Some customized perl scripting and an Idea of what you want the finalized
process to be

The best reference I found to do the perl scripting was the ³Mother of Perl²
website which had a great example of calling someone. The rest was basically
bits and pieces I pulled together through some research.

If there is enough interest, I might post some of the scripting (although it
is fairly rudimentary since I¹m new to perl). I¹m sure someone could better
optimize how it works and I¹d love the input to make it a viable solution
for anyone. We actually are using it to replace our NOC monitoring service
(which was horrid anyhow) and to replace What¹s Up Gold (which hung the
modem and prevented messages from being sent out).

From: Networks <networks at wi...>.rr.com>
Re: Nagios Making Phone Calls - How ?
2003-08-06 07:33

I have heard of people using festival and other programs to so this.
 If no one knows, I'll try to figure it out on my own, and let you guys
 know what I find. I'm sure others might be interested in doing this.

 Thanks,

 Josh

 On Tue, 2003-08-05 at 16:39, Networks wrote:
 > I was wondering if anyone has configured Nagios to send alerts with
 > phone calls through a modem? Any Help/Experience would be greatly
 > appreciated.
 >
 > Thanks,
 >
 > Josh

include Nagios version, plugin version (-v) and OS when reporting any issue.