(no subject)

Joseph B. McQueen McQueenJB at wpsc.com
Thu Aug 7 02:50:01 CEST 2003

I've experienced an interesting issue that isn't specific to Nagios, but affects the monitoring of Nagios.

The issue is that after a remote device goes down, maybe due to a circuit outage, the Linux server is no longer able to ping the device. I've tested this on RedHat 8.0, 9.0, and Suse 7.3 and all have had the same result.

The interesting part is that while the device is not pingable after the circuit comes up from the Linux server, it is pingable from another machine on the same network. As well, I can telnet to the device, but not ping it.

I did a little testing and found that if I ping the device with the following options "ping -I eth0 <deviceip>", it works. As well, if I reinitialize the network adapter, the device is pingable once again.

I only have one adapter one the server and a single default route with no other static routes. As well, I've used three different machines to test the problem on.

A packet capture shows the only differences in the pings are packet size (I'm using Windows 2000 as a baseline for reachability when I have the problem) and the fragmentation allowed bit.

Any ideas or assistance would be greatly appreciated.