Unable to get epager to work

David Lowe dblowe at comcast.net
Wed Aug 6 02:52:41 CEST 2003

I have a paging system at work that will accept a email and send it out
as a page. I have tested this with Kmail and it does work. The catch is
that the 'Subject" line of the email has to contain an alphabetic
descriptor which the paging system correlates to an actual pager number.
The format is: " Support_Group_Pager ".

I have read up on the nagios docs and gone thru the mail-list but I
haven't seen anything addressing this problem. I will post the relevant
info from the .cfg files below. I believe I have the descriptor placed
in the correct position in the misccommands.cfg file, but I am still not
generating a page.

Contacts.cfg:

# 'dave' contact definition
define contact{
         contact_name                    dave
         alias                           Support_Group_Pager
         service_notification_period     24x7
         host_notification_period        24x7
         service_notification_options    w,u,c,r
         host_notification_options       d,u,r
         service_notification_commands   notify-by-email,notify-by-epager
         host_notification_commands      host-notify-by-email
         email                           myself at whatever.com
	pager                           telalert at hostServer.com
         }

Misccommands.cfg:

# 'notify-by-email' command definition
define command{
         command_name    notify-by-email
         command_line    /usr/bin/printf "%b" "***** Nagios
*****\n\nNotification Type: $NOTIFICATIONTYPE$\n\nService:
$SERVICEDESC$\nHost: $HOSTALIAS$\nAddress: $HOSTADDRESS$\nState:
$SERVICESTATE$\n\nDate/Time: $DATETIME$\n\nAdditional Info:\n\n$OUTPUT$"
| /bin/mail -s "Support_Group_Pager"
         }

# 'notify-by-epager' command definition
define command{
         command_name    notify-by-epager
         command_line    /usr/bin/printf "%b" "Service:
$SERVICEDESC$\nHost: $HOSTNAME$\nAddress: $HOSTADDRESS$\nState:
$SERVICESTATE$\nInfo: $OUTPUT$\nDate: $DATETIME$" | /bin/mail -s
"$NOTIFICATIONTYPE$: $HOSTALIAS$/$SERVICEDESC$ is $SERVICESTATE$"
$CONTACTPAGER$
         }

Contactgroups.cfg:

# 'linux-admins' contact group definition
define contactgroup{
         contactgroup_name       linux-admins
         alias                   linux-admins
         members                 dave
         }

I am eager to deploy Nagios within our networks but this problem is
holding up the show. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,