check_dns

Karl DeBisschop karl at debisschop.net
Fri Aug 1 17:07:59 CEST 2003

Richard Mayhew writes:

> okie it seems sorted thanks...
>
> 1 question... with check_ping..
>
> when pinging a unpingable ip, can it return packet loss rather than a
> timeout?
>
> One needs to add a -w (timeout) for the ping cmd, else it just sits there
> and never stops, untill the plugin times out itself.
>
> So one could add
> eg. ping -n -U -c 1 -w ($timeout - 5secs) 1.1.1.1
> ping -n -U -c 1 -w 55 1.1.1.1
>
> so that the timeout of the plugin is always 5 secs more than the ping cmd
> itself.

This is a general issue I think. I hope for the 1.4.0 beta to go through all
the plugins and reset the default timeout to be a few seconds greater than
the critical time interval. We still should be able to set the timeout
explicitly, if you want to let a subsystem use it's own clean closing, but
the default should not have ping timeout after 10 secs if -c is 2 secs.

 --
Karl