Feature Req: Sticky and fine grained service definitions

Rob Fielding rob at dsvr.net
Fri Aug 1 10:48:16 CEST 2003

Hi,

I was wondering if nagios had or could have :) a solution to something I'd
like to do.

Whereas you can set-up checks which are essentially on or off (or good or bad)
I'd like to be able to check on if A happens, then B must happen an some time
period later - and if B doesn't happen we get a WARNING going up to ALERT.

What I have is a suite of scripts which run throughout the day and I want to
check they run ok, and don't bomb out or cause trapable error conditions.
There could be an infinite number of these scripts and they all run multiple
times a day - some for seconds, some for hours. All scripts have some common
features as they are written within the same framework but all can be uniquely
identifiable.

What I'm thinking is submit a passive command via NSCA at script start and a
passive command at script end. If the second event doesn't arrive within X
period, we trigger an active check which could attempt to determin if the
script is still running or not via NRPE and start raising warnings.

This sounds to me like how the sticky events mentioned in the Nagios 2.0 TODO
however I haven't read anything other than that one liner in the TODO.

My first question is - could my requirement be served by this Nagios2.0 feature ?

The alternative from my point of view is have a log file preprocessor
analysing the output of my scripts and maintaining it's own database. Then I
can write a Nagios Plugin to periodically test this database and make the
necessary decisions. We had however have liked this to be a job for nagios.

My second thought is along the same lines. A user definable field which could
split services into finer grained versioned-services. This would still require
some userdefinable logic within nagios to match service.userfield with another
service.userfield without getting mixed up between different checks.

This would help many similar but essentially different services be set-up with
much fewer rules, and if the userfield could be fed back in as a Macro then it
could effect all things, such as the contact groups or alert messages.

Best regards,

Rob

--

Rob Fielding