NagMIN Update Information - Releases - Beta - French

Fred Reimers FReimers at infosysinc.com
Wed Apr 30 22:34:29 CEST 2003

All,

I noticed that a lot of people downloaded NagMIN version 1.3.1.  There are problems with the setup utility not creating service entries.  You'll need to install 1.3.2 to correct the problem.

I want to thank all of you who have provided feedback and asked for support.  It's helping make NagMIN a better application, but it's not been as stable as I thought it would be due to the new features I've added that I hadn't planned.  The major feature being centralized management.  As a result, there isn't any detailed documentation, and I haven't had time to fully tested every release that I've put out there.  There have also been some major bugs for which I apologize.  The biggest I've had is correctly setting and using NULL values in the db schemas.  I should have read more about MySQL before starting.  The current version should have that under control.

The only major bug in the current release, that might not be corrected, is a problem adding time periods.  I haven't had any problems with this but I will investigate it.  There are a couple of other minor things that will be corrected.

The major feature request I've received is to parameterize all of the Nagios directories for installations where nagios has been placed in some ../bin directory, cgis somewhere else, etc..  This will require a major change to the setup utility and also to the webmin module.  Since NagMIN can centrally manage multiple servers, the directories might be in a different place on each server.  These parameters will be configured on a per database(system) basis in the new System table. It's going to take a week or so before the next release will show up and integration with MRTG (which I need) will take a little bit longer.

NagMIN will also support French in the next release due to the efforts of Pierre-Antoine Angelini, which I appreciate greatly.

I'm going to change the status of the project back to beta as I don't want to misrepresent the current quality of the software.  I see that a lot of people are downloading it and I want you to be able to use it successfully.  It will probably take another month or two for it to mature a bit more.

Make sure that you read the release notes for any new releases.

Fred Reimers (CCIE #1469, CCSA)
Senior Network Consultant
Info Systems, Inc.
freimers at infosysinc.com