PortSentry vs. Snort

Jonathan Gill jonathan.gill at securecirt.com
Wed Apr 30 09:40:20 CEST 2003

Hi All.

There is another choice that may be worth looking at.

Prelude.  Its a hybrid IDS that can work with snort and with "other" log
files, from claims I have heard it works with nagios, but I havn't
tried it personally.

url is http://www.prelude-ids.org/

Should give you a way to tie all events, both nagios and ids together.

Hope this helps.

Jonathan

On Wednesday 30 April 2003 2:53 pm, Jasmine wrote:
> Hi
>
> I think it's not very feasible to extend check_mysql plugin and
> trigger that "go look at the IDS now" ..you may want to take a look
> at sguild on sf.net but then again its individual preference.
>
> :-)
>
> On Wednesday 30 April 2003 08:04, Jamie Baddeley wrote:
> > Hi Jim,
> >
> > I've been using snort+acidlab+mysql for a while now. To be honest
> > I've never considered fully integrating the two things other than
> > superficially (i.e an IDS button in the side menu).
> >
> > Taking a quick look at what I've got, it seems that there's
> > probably 3 ways to do it:
> >
> > 1. Extend check_mysql to look into fields of the relevant table of
> > the snort db. (i.e look for sig_name blah in sig_name field inside
> > acid_event table of snort db)
> > 2. Do a check_http on a certain acidlab page and expect a certain
> > response (yuck)
> > 3. Scan /var/log/snort/alert and look for "something" (yuck)
> >
> > It seems to me that extending check_mysql to look inside the db
> > would useful to other people too for different needs.
> >
> > The approach I've detailed above tends to fail if you've got a
> > major intrusion on your hands and you've got stream of alerts. But
> > if if want it to be a trigger to "go look at the IDS now!" then it
> > should work fine.
> >
> > Other approaches would probably involve the snort module sending
> > something to a nagios passive check via a unixsocket (perhaps) or
> > maybe using alert_fast and check_log.pl.
> >
> > I think your approach depends on how you want to be aware of an
> > intrusion. Do you want to wait for a periodic check, or do you need
> > to be notified as it happens (i.e quasi real time).
> >
> > Looking at the Portsentry used to operate I'd guess passive right?
> > So it'd involve this:
> > http://www.snort.org/docs/writing_rules/chap2.html#tth_sEc2.5.5
> >
> > peace.
> >
> > jamie

- --
Jonathan Gill              +65 98551701
Chief Technology Officer   +65 62436800
SecureCiRT Pte Ltd
http://www.securecirt.com/
PGP : 315C 314D CD36 CBFF 728E F167 FCD8 15B7 0287