Perl5.8.0

Wed Apr 30 07:35:32 CEST 2003

Dear Sir,

I am writing to thank you for your letter and say,

On Tue, Apr 29, 2003 at 06:56:39PM +0200, Lionel.Ostric at arm.com wrote:

> Hi all,
>
>       I'm trying to get Nagios working on a Redhat 8 with the embeded perl
> interpreter.

that unfortunately you are out of luck.

Nag needs patching for embbedded Perl Nagios on hosts that have Perl
5.8.0 built with thread support (which probably means most vendors other
than the FreeBSD Perl port).

Patches exist and have been tested but have yet to be integrated.

(Reply to me privately if you want them).

>       I would like to know if a solution (other than installing perl 5.6.1
> which is painful)

This may not be to bad _unless_ you have a lot of Perl apps on the
Nag host.

It may indeed be nothing because on this system Perl (5.8.0), @INC has
been modified to use both new and old Perl.

>From Perl -V

  @INC:
    /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/mach
    /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0
    /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.005
    /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl
    /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.0/BSDPAN
    /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.0/mach
    /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.0
    .

(In other words, the old Perl [5.005] modules paths are being searched).

However, if you have other Perl apps (RT, HTML::Mason, ..) I would
proceed carefully.

> has been found to make nagios work with perl 5.8....

Your options are

 . Perl 5.8.0 without threading

 . Perl 5.6.1 (with or without thread support) or 5.005_03 (no choice
about threads).

 . no ePN

> Thanks

Stanley Hopcroft