NSClient CPULoad: Division by zero

Ralf Mellis testrm at kisters.com
Tue Apr 29 16:07:57 CEST 2003

Dean Bishop wrote:
> Just to clear my muddy brain...where and when exactly are you seeing this
> division by zero error and what exactly do you mean when you say that you
> are issuing the command "check_nt -v CPULOAD" on the server (i.e. on which
> server are you issuing the command).

I have a nagios server with nagios 1.0 and nagios-plugins 1.3 (linux).
On all windows servers there is the nsclient 1.0.7.1 up and running.

I have defined several services for my hostgroups containing all windows
servers. These services are launching the plugin "check_nt" (installed
on the nagios server during plugin installation) with the options "-v
CPULOAD", "-v USEDDISKSPACE" and "-v UPTIME" (with another parameters,
as necessary). All windows servers are reporting fine as USEDDISKSPACE
is concerned, three of my w2k servers are reporting "NSClient -
ERROR:Malformed request or internal error. Check EventLog:None&2&10 "
(this in the web gui of nagios) and "Division by zero " (this in the
application log with source nsclient on the local w2k server) as CPULOAD
is concerned. The UPTIME service for these three servers also does not
report the correct values to the nagios server.
All other servers are reporting fine.
In addition I have checked the three windows servers locally with the
sysinternals tool psinfo, on two of them this tool reports the correct
values, on one of them it complains about "Error reading uptime".
So, IMHO it is obvious that regarding the UPTIME service the psinfo and
nsclient service are _not_ querying the same source...

It is remarkable, that all my servers are on the same patch level as
servicepacks are concerned (w2k --> sp3, nt4 --> sp6a and srp).
IMHO the given behaviour can't rely only on the servicepacks, it must
have something to do with ie version and/or other installed hotfixes.

Now it is up to us, the ms users, to find out the reasons for the
errors. I will try do this in the next time...

--
Ralf Mellis
Abt. DV/ORG