Host/Service check scheduling

Denise Sandell dsandell at voyager.net
Mon Apr 28 20:45:29 CEST 2003

Howdy,

I have a question/concern about the way host and service checks are
handled.

Host checks are only supposed to be initiated when a service check
fails.  So at what point does the host check initiate, when a service
returns a "soft" non-OK state, or a "hard" non-OK state?  I've
poured over the documentation and can't find anything that explicitly
states what the function is.

As far as I can tell operationally speaking, a host check is initiated
immediately when a service check fails (ie a soft fail state).  Yet,
this is not clear from the event logs.  I never see a failed/soft
service check before a host check is initiated noted in the logs.
As a result, my service checks fail once, a host check is initated,
it counts through max attempts defined for a host, and then issues
a notification.

This is rather annoying since I would like to receive notifications
for things down >5 minutes.  My max_attempts for my host template is
currently set at 5 (with an interval_length of 60), so once Nagios
initiates host checks, it does so every 10 seconds 5 times in a row.
As a result, I get notifications for things down for 50 seconds.

The only way i've managed to get around this is to completely disable
check_commands for hosts.  This leads to some general retardedness for
availability of hosts/services.  If my service check for ping fails,
the host goes down, but it is never marked as such by the system.

So, the questions i have are these:

. is this the intended function for network availability?
. is there an undocumented way to apply check intervals to host checks?
  and if not, is this being considered as an option for future development?

--
- Denise Sandell                                 network operations -
- dsandell at voyager.net              voyager.net, a CoreComm company -