OT scripting question

Jeremy Russell Jeremy.Russell at chickasaw.net
Mon Apr 28 19:25:55 CEST 2003

Try $? I think...

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeff McKeon [mailto:jsm at inpro.net]
Sent: Monday, April 28, 2003 12:19 PM
To: Nagios List
Subject: [Nagios-users] OT scripting question

hell all,

I know this is sort of off topic but it's for a script I'm writing to
use with nagios so I beg forgiveness..

When using a command like grep that returns an exit status (0 for match,
1 for no match, 2 for errors) how i use that exit status in a script.
In other words, what variable is assigned the 0, 1 or 2?

So if i had:

# look for "hello" in /tmp/somefile

/bin/grep -q hello /tmp/somefile

/bin/echo (exit status)

what would I replace "(exit status)" with so that it would echo the 0, 1
or 2?

thanks

--
Jeff McKeon <jsm at inpro.net>