Options for Nagios Sending SMS Messages

Jamie Baddeley jamie.baddeley at vpc.co.nz
Mon Apr 28 09:25:07 CEST 2003

>From an NZ point of view:

I'm guessing that you've got multiple cellular service providers. The
challenge is then making sure the recepient cellphones are on the networks
you're planning to connect to. This means you need to have a carrier agnostic
approach.

We use SonicMobile. Countries are unimportant to them. I just throw my mail
at them and they sort the rest out.

If your carriers are using GSM then things are better because interconnection
points can be any GSM network (globally). I'm not sure if the CDMA networks
have the same level of global roaming. This global-ness is good because
interconnect is competitive (you actually have a choice).

http://www.sonicmobile.com/

The other approach I've contemplating is jamming txt messages up a locally
connected cellphone, but frankly I've got other things to worry about.

The usual challenge is making the transfer delay through the cellular network
faster than through a paging network. If you're in the City where the
cellsites are loaded with Generation Txt'ers, then delay might be a problem.
For some reason GSM seems to prioritise radio interface sourced txt vs data
interconnect sourced txt.... Which is a factor in my thinking about jamming
it up a locally connected cellphone.

jamie