Performance Data...and a little scheduling question...

Ian Farr ianf at Oceanwide.com
Fri Apr 25 15:40:34 CEST 2003

Hello all,

I am a newbie to Nagios - and have been reading the manuals and playing with
installations now for 2 weeks (on and off), and have a little question about
performanace data...

Anyone using it?? have any info on how many plugins support it - which
method is best used (file based or the default)?? is it even worth spending
time looking into this (maybe no plugins support it at the momment)??

Any tips??

Also - anyone using a default interval of 30 seconds (main config file ->
interval_length=30). Nagios seems to schedule checks for some hosts (most of
them) every 30 seconds (for those services that I have defined a normal
interval of 1 for), but not on some others...I now in the manual it was
specified that anything other than 60 (for interval_length) was not fully
tested...anyone encounter this?? i am using the check_ping plugin for those
services I have defined to run evry 30 sec - and now I am starting to see
timeouts (CRITICAL in event log - plugin timed out after 10 seconds)..do you
think that this is a parrallellization issue - I have placed the number of
parrallell test to zero (which in the manual says that 0 = unlimited.

I am not worring about system performance - the box is an OK box dedicated
for nagios - dual PIII XEON, 512 MB RAM...vmstat (vmstat 1) reports a
consistent idle processor time of >=95% - so the thing is sleeping.

Thanks in advance..

PS - I am replacing a 10,000$ monitoring application (deepmetrix's IP
Monitor) with this.
Great Product to all those who have worked on it!! I look forward in
following this product's lifecycle :)

Ian Farr