add more detailed info ?

Subhendu Ghosh sghosh at sghosh.org
Thu Apr 24 23:37:47 CEST 2003

On 24 Apr 2003, Daniel Wittenberg wrote:

> We are looking at converting from spong to nagios, but one of the
> complaints I have had is that in spong when you click on a service, the
> a disk error, I click on the disk check, and the next screen shows a
> full df.  This is nice for some custom checks where having a lot more
> detail is nice, but it clutters the main screeen too much.  Any ideas on
> other ways to provide the detailed information?  If we did patches to
> add that, and extend the protocol for a "long message" as well as
> summary, would they includeded ?
>
> Thanks,
> Dan

Currently there is a hard limit of about 384 characters (bytes) of
information that can be accepted from the plugin to the nagios daemon.
This includes the plugin output as well as any perfdata output.

There is a facility in nagios (extinfo) that allows you to specify a url
for extended information on a particular host or service.  Most of the
examples you see are urls pointing to notes about configuration/customer
info.

Nothing prevent you from using this extinfo url to launch a probe on the
host/service for more detail.

A second alternative is to wrap the output of the plugin with the urlize
plugin. Then the output shown on the cgi's becomes clickable. (but the
size limit still applies).

I tend to use the urlize plugin along with the traceroute.cgi from the
nagios contrib dir to see a simple traceroute path from the nagios host to
the $HOSTADDRESS$

--

-sg