Drill Down Facility in APAN

Jamie Baddeley jamie.baddeley at vpc.co.nz
Thu Apr 24 10:45:09 CEST 2003

OK,

Here come my 2 cents. It's a bit of a rant, but hey, I think it needs to be
said.

People! Why are we re-inventing the wheel?

There's shitloads of rrd front-end's out there. Cricket, MRTG NRG etc etc.
see here:
http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/rrdtool/rrdworld/index.html

Why are we creating another one?

Smokeping already does what Atul was asking about. RRD is backend, of course
you can do this. Store the additional the RRD files and zoom. simple. It what
my system does.

I can't understand why we are screwing around with front-ends when the data
that nagios needs to make a decision on whether the threshold is being
breached is held in the RRD files that a multitude of packages already look
after.....

It seems to me that lots of people are going, hmmm. Check_traffic and
RRD...They're asking this when there are solutions available. The reason why
IMHO is that lots of people already have an investment in the time-series
trending information (and the associated front-end) - most of us probably
started doing that first - nagios second, and now we want to bring the two
together. They don't want to move to a new front-end.

All that needs to be done is a plugin that reads local RRD files.

It seems simple to me. But that may be because I'm crap at coding, and better
at hacking.

All that needs to be done is a plugin that reads .rrd files.

If someone can explain to me that this is not right then I'd be happy to eat
humble pie.

damn. I've gotta drink less coffee.

peace.

jamie